Thursday, October 4, 2012

It's Master Crafter Time!!!


I'm so excited to show you what I created for the Master Crafter Competition that Sarah from Pink by Design organized.  We were sent a box with the following items:
We were supposed to incorporate as much from the box as possible– realizing that one thing is a tool, and may not be used as part of the project, but used to make the project.  We were also allowed to use other things from our stash to make our project.

I have to admit that I was a little stumped when I first got my box...well, a LOT stumped.  I really had to think about this one.  In fact, I only just got my inspiration yesterday and got to work.  I'm really happy with how it turned out, especially since I was trying a few new things.  Here's my project:

I created this fun little card and goody bag.  I used everything in the box, except for the Pink by Design stamp that came with it.  To be honest, I forgot about it because it was in the bottom of the bag.  Gah!  I really need to pay more attention sometimes.  I did use a different PBD stamp, so I hope that will work.  If not, at least I had fun! :)  

The patterned paper sunburst layout is a new thing for me.  I've never put together a card like this before because, really, it kind-of intimidated me.  I always wondered how in the world people got all of the papers to line up.  Well, I decided to try it out, and I used my little Scissor Mouse to help me out.  Here's how I did it:


First, I chose 6 sheets of paper from the Rockstar Mat Stack that I thought would look nice together.  Then, I just started cutting little wedges of the papers with the Scissor Mouse (which was really easy to use, by the way).  I laid them out in a circle to get an idea of placement and made sure the wedges formed a full circle.



Next, I cut a piece of 4" x 5.25" cardstock and covered it with a grid of ATG tape.  Then, I simply started adding on my wedges, concentrating the point on an intersection of some of the lines (I used the rule of thirds to help me out).


When I finished, I turned my creation over and used my paper trimmer to trim off the excess.


I was left with this.  It looks a little messy in the center there, but I wasn't worried about that because I knew I'd be covering it up later.


Then, I cut out a simple guitar icon and a starburst seal shape (both of which I found in the Silhouette Online Store and cut out with my Cameo).  I added the circle right over the center of the "rays" and placed a sentiment from Pink by Design's All Girl Stamp Set, some buttons, and a brad next to it.  I also added 3 of my rhinestones to the top of the card.  Of course, I added lots of ink to make the card look a little grungy...which I think goes well with the rocker theme.

Then, it was time for me to work on my little cotton treat bag.


I decided to paint the bag, so I inserted a little piece of scrap card stock into the bag so the paint wouldn't go through to the other side.  Luckily, I'd watched some tutorials about stenciling shirts a while ago, or I probably wouldn't have thought to do that.  This was my first time stenciling any kind of material.


I cut the same guitar icon shapes out of vinyl.  I cut it out in two parts, which I probably didn't have to do, but it worked out.  I stuck the little vinyl cutout on my bag, making sure to press down the inside edges carefully so no paint would seep underneath.


I got out some black acrylic paint and a little foam dauber, and, with a thin amount of paint on my dauber, I applied the paint with a gentle pouncing motion.


Then, while the paint was still wet, I CAREFULLY peeled off the vinyl (so I wouldn't mess up my paint job).  Then, I set the bag aside to dry for a while.


When it was dry, I carefully applied my second stencil.  Again, if I had planned better, I could have done this with only one stencil, but, you know...silly me.  This worked fine.  I repeated the steps above, and VIOLA...


...a perfectly painted guitar icon!


To finish off my bag, I added a little chalk ink to grunge it up a little (which you might not really be able to see in the photo), and added some of my rhinestones so it would coordinate more with my card.

That's it!  I really hope you like my project!!!  I'd love to hear from you...I LOVE comments!  Thanks so much for stopping by today!  I'll be back tomorrow with another project!

18 comments:

  1. GAHHH I love that card and the bag, but I love that card the most. I need to make me one of those startburst cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...what a great avenge and you rocked it. The starburst card is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so great, Lisa! Both the card and the bag!!! Love the sunburst!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!! I understand not knowing what to do, I myself was a little stumped with my goodies...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!!!! I uber stinking love your creations!!!! WOW. Thanks so much for showing how you did that burst. You rocked this one, hun. Best of luck.

    Be blessed, Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome project!! love it

    rosiemini@gmail.com
    www.scraplovingminis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome stenciling and adore the burst of colors you used on your card! Fabulous job Lisa!
    :O)
    Jessica S

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome Lisa! I am glad you did a card like that, because I've been meaning to and haven't gotten around to it! Love the guitar theme!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just awesome Lisa! Loving both. Thank you for sharing how you put the card and bag together will have to give them a try.
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fabulous - oh my! Good luck. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowie! Love the stenciling that you did. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the starburst - what a great way to put several favorite papers together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool! I love the bag especially how you painted it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for showing how you did the card and the bag,both are Beautiful,good luck with the challenge.Just thinking iv a stack of scraps that will be put to use now on Starburst cards ,thanks again xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW-ZA!! Lisa this is stunning!! What an incredible job! I love the way you layed out the cardstock! I will HAVE to try this sometime soon!! And love the tutorial on how you created the bag! This is fantastic!

    xoxoxox

    Jess @ www.homespunelegance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done with your challenge - great project! Good luck on the contest.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments! They really make my day! :D